Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hand.............

Word of the Day........ Hand...n.,...the terminal part of the vertebrate forelimb (as in humans) where modified as a grasping organ. Okay...I knew that definition......geesh.....this is already sounding like Bio 101. I've always loved hands and can remember what people's hands looked like often after I can clearly remember their faces. I remember shapes of nails, lengths of fingers, condition of skin. I also remember how people use their hands when they talk....did you know that hands can be a very very expressive part of the body? We all know people that 'talk' with their hands. And we've heard the expression....if she had to sit on her hands she couldn't say a word. Sometimes I will look at someone's hands and it will drive me crazy because those hands remind me of someone else's hand and I can't think whose. My nails are shaped like my brother's. His of course being more masculine, and bigger, but we have the same shaped nails. So enough about physical appearances of hands because I'm starting to think I need a manicure. Let's think about how we use our hands......some of us make a living with our hands....carpenters, painters, welders, artists....the list goes on and on. We all use our hands somewhat in our jobs because we all must write, type or sweep or mop or whatever it is we do. Again.....one step further....we use our hands in more ways than earning a living...we encourage with our hands....big waves or clapping. We give directions with our hands, pointing out turns and curves etc. We CAN be discouraging with our hands...thumbs down, or God Forbid punishing with our hands. We can give a HAND up or Hold someone down...both physically and emotionally with our hands. We give a hand in marriage. We are dealt the HAND of life. We can pick up a tiny piece of trash or remove a huge rock. We hold hands for comfort, or safety. Hands are mighty things that I think we take for granted. Let's,for just this one day, be very cognizant of our hands. Use them wisely.....hold them steady, someone may be depending on you. Hand up, hand out, hand stretched to meet the needs of friends or family. So please use your terminal part of the vertebrate forelimb to make someone's day. I'll use mine for clapping hard when you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment