Thursday, August 23, 2012

Corner............

Word of the Day..... Corner.....n.,...the point where converging lines, edges, or sides meet. You are surrounded by corners....we all are. Rooms have corners, streets have corners, baseball plates have corners, tablecloths have corners, desks have corners.....surely you're convinced now. I could go on and on, but I won't. One time my husband and I had 'words' over corners.....we added on to our house, and had built a long, wide hall that turned to the left into a shorter space that lead to our kids' rooms.....I told him I wanted those corners to not be 90* angles.....then I felt very proud of myself for knowing that a corner was 90*. I wanted 45* He told me then it wasn't a corner if it wasn't 90*. Suddenly my pride was deflated. I insisted that since you TURNED to the left to get to their rooms, surely it was a corner....he repeated in his CONTRACTOR voice....45's AREN'T corners. I said ....semantics.....feeling very teachery. He just stood there.....then said....45* it is....walked off and didn't even get to see the smirk on my face. Now, I must tell you that I was just throwing out numbers like 90 and 45....I really had nooooooooooooo idea those were the correct terms. Anyway...away from that totally useless side note and back to corners. Let's imagine our lives...they are not straight shots.....roads.....runways.....paths. We all have corners we must turn...and the rather scary part is we have no idea what is around those corners. On any given day, your Interstate of life might turn into a County Rd and what you thought was a very direct, level road suddenly becomes twisted with corners you can't see around. You're speeding along and suddenly you have to slam on the brakes, slow down and squint, trying to see what's ahead. But in the end, You HAVE to turn that corner, because if you don't, you'll end up in the ditch. So here's the thing about corners...they can be frightening, unnerving and yes even shocking, but they are part of life and must be maneuvered, managed and lived through. Take your corners of life with grace and faith. It may be awhile before you get back on the Interstate, but when you do, you'll be a stronger, better, more confident person. You will have made that 90* corner into a 45* slant!

No comments:

Post a Comment