Thursday, January 24, 2013

Emotion

Have you watched Oprah's interview with Lance Armstrong? I put it on my DVR so I could watch them both together. I wanted to see it from beginning to end without a few days interruption. I'm not getting into criticism, pointing fingers, or guilt. You have your own decision and opinions about that. This is what I found the most intriguing and yet the most universal...the emotion Lance showed when he spoke of his children. His matter of fact tone, body language and facial expressions changed totally when the discussion turned to his kids. Was it fake? I don't think so. I think the very mention of his children and their reaction brought out more sadness, guilt, and embarrassment than everything else combined. Which leads me to the entire point of this blog. I would hope that every parent would take their children into consideration before they do anything. Is that true? Clearly not. Is the fact that if they don't it can be life changing for their kids? Certainly yes. Think of your own situation. We all have guilt, we all have wrong doings, we all err. But if you are a parent, I would imagine that admitting these things to your kids would be the most hurtful part of the process of being 'found out'. Now for Chapter Two......another life lesson for your kids should be the process of admittance. You have done wrong, you are only human. Standing straight and teaching lessons of honesty about mistakes is part of that teaching process. Covering up for yourself and or your kids gets you nor them anywhere except right in the middle of feeling entitled. My kids have made and continue to make mistakes......yours have too. I have made and continue to make mistakes....human frailty is ours. So hopefully your mistakes will never make the cover of Time Magazine. But when you purposefully do something for personal gain, I hope you take into account that at some point you may have to look your kids in the eye and admit your wrong. And if that happens that you'll do it with integrity and honesty and above all love.

No comments:

Post a Comment