Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Advice......

Word of the Day.......

Advice...n.,...opinion urging choice or rejection of a course of action.

I wrote an article/essay yesterday on 'The Best Advice I'd Ever BEEN Given'.  I like to think about that more than the the best advice I've ever GIVEN.  Giving advice seems to be something we all think we're good at....well, he should ..she should ...you should .  Did you ever stop to think that maybe you SHOULDN'T be giving advice?  Okay, okay...maybe someone asked you for your advice.
Whadda ya do?  Give it? Refuse to give it? Plead ignorance? Knowing most people, I think advice comes hurling out of their mouths with little thought to outcome.  There is a fine line between giving advice and being judgmental......between sharing expertise and giving orders.  If you're asked to give advice and you are comfortable doing it, by all means, go for it.  But please please please....realize that advice can't be withdrawn.  Think about what you're saying before you say it.  Don't be afraid to just bow out.  Giving advice isn't something that should be taken lightly, after all, you're dealing with a life.  It's not weak to say, I just don't know.  Think before you share, order or suggest.  My advice?   Don't give it unless you KNOW what you're talking about.  And if you think you're an expert in ALL THINGS?  My advice is......you're wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment