Friday, July 20, 2012

Devour

Word of the Day..... Devour....v.,....to eat up ravenously. Let's consider the word Devour. If you say it 17 times in a row, it starts to sound weird. I see kids devour their lunches every day at school. Not sure it's because they are really that hungry, or want to get the business of eating over, so they can get on with their social lives. Sometimes readers devour a good book. I mean a really good book is like eating your very favorite meal. You gobble it page by page. I don't like to devour a book....instead I love to take my time and look forward to each page. But sometimes, if it has really drawn me in...I can't help it, I devour it. My little Missy, devours her food. It's like she never gets fed. She's been with us for about 12 years but did come from a shelter. I wonder if she was hungry most of her puppyhood and so feels the need to devour whatever she happens to be eating. But on the other hand, I think we sometimes let things devour us. You might want to consider if something devours you, and if so, what. Are you devoured by fear, greed, selfishness, dominance, worry, stress? I can't imagine what devoured the movie theater shooter. He certainly has been devoured by something incredibly evil....something so monstrous he couldn't shake it. He is an extreme example; someone about whom we never want to even think. But he is human as we are and that says it all. We are not infallible. He has been devoured by hatred. Let's lighten up! I hope you're devoured by joy, family, friends, love and peace. We all know people like that. They light up a room. They set examples. They live a joyous life. I hope these wonderful things devour you like a good book. Bad days will come. No doubt. But the thing about life is, it is ever changing, evolving and growing. Be devoured by good things and then pass them on.

No comments:

Post a Comment