Saturday, April 13, 2013

Avoided......

We know the old saying "There are some things that can't be avoided....death and taxes." I'm really not sure you can't avoid the last thing.....I mean you might avoid them behind bars, but avoided nonetheless. Let's chat about some things that you CHOOSE to avoid. Do you avoid kindness? Do you avoid generosity? Do you avoid thankfulness? Do you avoid doing the right thing even when it hurts? We all do at some point in our lives. I know I certainly have. And so have you. But here's the thing. If we avoid people, if we turn our backs on our families and friends, then we have cut out our own hearts and we slowly bleed out. Every day as a teacher I see kids whose parent have chosen to 'avoid' them. They are not seen for whom they really are.....living breathing Works of God with so much potential. And I also have seen the role reversal. I have seen children who totally disregard their parents. Who choose to turn a blind eye to the love they have been given, the sacrifices that have been made for them. Sometimes these relationships mend as children mature, often times it never does. Do they not see that the Circle of Life is just that....a Circle. An unbroken line.....a never ending series of events. Don't be that child who one day realizes that you will never see your parents again and you've lost days and months and years with those who gave up so much for you. Do parents make mistakes....of course they do. Do children make mistakes? You Bet!! I have been blessed with 4 wonderful kids. And I'm sure that my husband and I made many mistakes over the years of them growing into adults, but......we are a strong family. We are in touch, we speak, text and email most every day. AGAIN...we are a family. Are we the Cleavers....heck no, but we are a family! We have all gotten past our mistakes and hopefully will continue to do so in the future. This last statement is for all the 'kids' who might read this. Cherish your heritage. For at the end of the day...I imagine not many people would gladly give up their lives for you. But I'm going to bet that your parents would take that bullet. If fences need to be mended, do it. If things need to be worked out...do it. With each beat of your heart you are losing precious time.

No comments:

Post a Comment