Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Sound of Silence.....

I've always loved that phrase.....I think we can credit it to Simon and Garfunkel. Dates me, but o well. Silence does have its own particular sound and sadly one that we don't get to enjoy very often. We live in a cacophony of sounds. Some are by choice, some by circumstance. But the true sound of silence, the soothing joy of nothingness settles the soul. This weekend is a time of Rejoicing and most probably you'll have little chance to hear the silence. You probably have family coming in, or your going somewhere to see close friends or parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. But today if you can, even for 2 minutes, seek silence. Expand your body and mind to just being the wonder that you are. Okay fine, I'm not some guru sitting wrapped in a sheet on the top of a mountain. I'm just a woman who knows the power of even the tiniest bit of self. I call it a mind cleanse. It is a letting go. Quit fighting those mental fires. Stop and breath just for yourself. Admittedly I'm at a place in life, where this is easier for me. No small children at home, no teens involved in 3,268 things a day. But I know for certain that you can spare a minute or two a day, to linger in the sound of silence. Early morning silence is the best for me. Hot cup of fresh coffee and the low light of dawn begins the day and so this is when I make my choice to be quiet. No television, no radio, just me. And I find in these early morning spaces of time, that the more I do this, the more I get to know me. I'll go ahead and admit that some of the things I'm meeting in myself I don't like, but I'm glad to the acknowledgement of them. For how can I or you or anybody else work on being better if we don't realize where we're lacking? Geez, this may be another blog topic entirely so back to Silence. Take it. Enjoy it. Learn from it. Rest in it. Just be you. I hope you'll see that Quietness has a quality of healing. Enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment