Friday, March 15, 2013

Request.......................

Word of the Day..... Request....n.,...the act or instance of asking for something. Someone the other day REQUESTED that I start doing a Word of the Day again. So here goes. We'll talk about requests. How do you respond to a request? I'm going to bet that your reaction relies on two things...who made it and if it fits into your day. Now, I'm not saying that we turn our backs on any request that doesn't come from a friend or family member, nor am I saying we deny all requests that don't fit into our busy schedules. My question wasn't whether you DO a request, but how you RESPOND to a request. I think your response might say more about you than the actual doing. In other words, your REaction speaks louder than your action. Think about your circle of friends and family. I bet that you can immediately name the ones who will step out and do what's needed without hesitation. I'm also betting that you can visualize those people in your lives who will do what is needed,but not without grumbling, or self absorption in themselves and how good it is of them to do what's asked of them. Some people are just naturally giving; they understand that while inconveniences happen, their lives CAN and DO not just revolve around themselves. Others are well, more selfish, more self involved, more interested in the pats on their back than the giving of themselves and their time. Okay fine....here ya go. I can just hear you saying yeah, but some people have more time. They don't have my crazy schedule of work, and kids and yadayadayada. And I'll concede that. But here's the thing. Helping hands are always needed in some form or fashion. Involvement is not always easy, but when the chips are down, the going gets rough, the climb is enormous, then whether busy or not, we all need to step out of our zone and help. And do it without complaint nor expectations of paybacks. So here is my REQUEST for today. If someone you know needs something...maybe something small and easy...maybe not so much. AND if you decide to get involved. Do it for the right reasons. Do it because it's just the thing to do. Not for self glory, not for self recognition, but because you have been helped, people have stepped up to your plate, folks have at times been there for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment