Sunday, May 25, 2014

Honor.......

My Thought. of this Day.....I heard someone say the other day that Memorial Day is not the day to honor Veterans. Instead, they said, it is the day to honor those who had lost their lives in the line of duty. It is for the ultimate sacrifice. And to that I will proudly stand in honor. I would never presume to belittle that death, that event. But, I will go further and say that any Veteran who fought, had Boots on the Ground, in a combat zone, in a foreign land, also lost their lives. Maybe not physically, but truly emotionally. And on Memorial Day they too should be Honored. Not one returned as the same man or woman who left this country. Not one lived through the trauma of war unscathed. Not one has nor will ever emotionally, mentally, or even physically be the same. The human mind can not take in nor process the brutality of combat without psychological changes. As is known, I have seen this first hand. I have witnessed an emotional battle that has spanned 40+ years. I am now seeing a physical battle begin with this Viet Nam vet that began most probably 40+ years ago. And you know what, he will attack and fight this next battle with the honor and fierceness and with the same courage that he has fought the emotional battle. And so today, we, as a couple, salute those who did die for the United States of America. An I, as a wife of a Viet Nam vet, will salute my husband who has for nearly 5 decades fought and will continue to fight for his country. There is Honor among our military men and women. There is sacrifice and courage. And hats off to you who will stand for the rest of us. Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment