Thursday, September 26, 2013

Actions vs Words

We've all heard the old sayings....."Actions speak louder than words." "Stick and stones.......". But really? I'm not totally in agreement. Words are so powerful. Don't get me wrong. I believe our actions SPEAK volumes. But I also believe..."The tongue is a might sword." Words can tear down or build up. Words can shatter hearts. Words can bring laughter or tears. Words are said and then, they are OUT THERE!! You can't suck them back in. You can't magically make them disappear. They are like tiny particles that float or spring or fire out of your mouth and then take on a life of their own. Everyday you build a 'word' quilt. And in this very modern age we build them in many ways. Email, texts, FB, Twitter. We have an abundance of ways to hurt or heal. I wonder if you realize you are knitting, crocheting or quilting your quilt the minute you awaken and start communicating? Think on this. You have a responsibility to be aware of not only what you say, but how you say it. Some of us are more sharp tongued than others......cough cough.....and we have the biggest challenge. Some of us are soft spoken and probably the slowest to build our quilts. So while I think your daily actions are important, and show your character, I also think your words paint pictures of who you really are. I hope today your word quilt is one of encouragement and laughter and love and responsibility. I hope it's comfortable for others. I hope that you realize just how powerful you are and use that power in ways to build up. Words are mighty and everlasting. Please understand this.......and tonight, when you go to bed you are comfortable under the quilt you've sewn today.

No comments:

Post a Comment