Friday, November 23, 2012

Word of the Day....

Reflection....n.,....a thought, idea,or opinion formed or a remark made as a result of meditation. Reflections on being sick on Thanksgiving Day.....I would love to act noble and say that it gave me alone time to give Thanks, Count my many Blessings and Relax on the couch while sending fond thoughts to my family gathered 150 miles away. I would love to say I was that great of a person......selfless, kind, serene, thoughtful. But sports fans....I'M NOT. I was a jealous woman. First, I spent 2 hours trying to convince myself that even though I was running a pretty good temperature I wasn't contagious and I could just take Advil and go on....spreading my joy. When I finally settled in to the fact that the couch was going to be my best friend...well, I pouted, frowned, flipped the television channels until even IT was dizzy and was the epitome of a grump. The cat wished I had gone, the dog wished I had gone and my husband wished HE had gone. I envisioned the perfect turkey, the amazing dressing with just the right amount of sage, the myriad of other food that sat on the bar of my brother and sister in law's house. I imagined the laughter and the screaming at the football games, the gossip and yes, even the piles of dirty china waiting to be washed. I missed my kids, I missed my friends and other family. I did appreciate the texts, and calls and especially the wonderful food friends from here delivered to my door..even though they walked into my house wrapped up like zombies to avoid the germs, they were troupers for bringing me TDay dinner. But at the end of the day.....this is my Reflection. It's not the food, it's the warmth of being with those who light up your life....or not.....it's the gathering of tradition, the seeing, the telling, the exchanging of news. It's that feeling of belonging there, in that crowd of people, who are yours and who have been put in your life for a reason. It's part of being a WE.....and not just a ME. If you had that yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, then know you are truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment