Thursday, September 11, 2014

September 11

Mothers and 9/11 Today marks the anniversary of a truly devastating day in the history of the United States of America. I can remember my instant gut reaction as I was listening to the story unfold. I knew EXACTLY where my children were. Two of them were within a hundred yards of me on the same high school campus. But as their a mother, my first instinct was to go touch them. And I did. It was as necessary as breathing. They were fine and I knew it, but the compulsion was too strong to ignore. The other two kids were not close enough to touch, but I called them within a few minutes. This is what we do as mothers. We protect, we touch, we scrutinize, we gather our children during a disaster. I remember looking into their eyes and listening to their voices with a very clear thought resounding in my head. "You have no idea how this morning changed your world." I grieved for them; I grieved for all of us. Our universe tilted on that day. So I write this blog with two thoughts in mind. Every day unfolds with miracles and magic. Be aware of that. Take nothing for granted. My second thought is the sadness I still feel....deep in my heart....for the mothers who lost their worlds that day. I understand that it's also the fathers, wives, children, brother, sisters and many many more who still suffer. But today, because I still remember my great need to see, touch and listen to.....I cry for the mothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment